Thursday, December 4, 2008

Turkey Overdose!

What better way to celebrate than to eat mounds of food?! That’s my kind of holiday! The RA’s at Fenestra had a pre-thanksgiving feast in the clubroom. It was really sweet because a lot of people in my building did not have family to spend time with so it was an opportunity for all of us to hang out and eat. The RA’s made turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie just for us! It was amazing! We spent the night hanging out, talking, and playing pool. Oddly enough Thanksgiving eve is a big night to go out! Americans will make any excuse to throw a party! My friends and I decided to paint the city red because nobody had to work the next day. Fun times!

Fenestra Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving Eve

The next day I took the metro to the stop closest to Baltimore, New Carrolton, and my Aunt picked me up! I had not seen her in ten years! I was even more excited for my sister and my grandma to fly out for the holiday and three infant cousins that I had never met. When I got there it was amazing! How do you catch up on ten years? There is so much that has happened, I didn’t know where to begin. The funny thing about family is that they don’t really care what you have been doing, they just want your company. Forget about all of the amazing things I was doing in DC, this was by far the best weekend that I had this semester. My family and food, what more could a girl ask for?!

The crew
Alyssa and me

I’m so blessed. You come to realize living in a big city that there are so many people that are less fortunate. DC has one of the highest homeless rates. Hearing the statistic is one thing, but witnessing it everyday is much more difficult. My internship, Downey McGrath Group, was located next door to a homeless shelter until they closed it down. For the first few months of work I saw several homeless people a day lying next to buildings and by statutes. They may ask you for change, but they are for the most part harmless and are the people that need to be remembered the most in the season for giving. I spent the Tuesday before Thanksgiving boxing up canned foods for needy families. It reminds you how important it is to volunteer on a regular basis and not just during the holiday season, because homelessness and poverty continues to rise.

No comments: