Monday, December 15, 2008

Time to Say Goodbye

It is amazing how time flies! It has already been 15 weeks? I still can’t believe it that I was just walking into my apartment and meeting my roommate for the first time. Now Grisel, Elena and I have become the best of friends! It has been a sad last few days because we started the week with TWC graduation! It was great to see everyone for the last time to say goodbye.
TWC Graduation

Also, it was a time for several of the other students to show off what they have been doing for the last few months here. Wow, what some of the other students were doing was amazing! One group called LEAF, an environmentally friendly organization created from interns from TWC, created a video to show people how wasteful we are. Not only did I feel lazy because I did not turn in a big project, but now I felt wasteful too! It was a great video, very well put together, incredibly funny, and most importantly it was very informative. Also, they gave out the Civic Engagement Awards and have several speakers. It was a short but sweet ceremony because we were able to see every person from the program all at once. My friends after the program were holding signs that said “free hugs and kisses,” it almost made me cry!

Free Hugs!

In addition, it was my last day at my internship on Wednesday. We had a going away and a holiday party at a nice restaurant near DMG called Tuscana West. Open bar, appetizers, lunch, and dessert and of course spending the last few hours with my co-workers! The other intern and I had to give a speech about our best and worst moments. I shared with the group that my best night was the Vice Presidential Debate and my worst was the day after. Yes, I fessed up to two former Congressmen that I came into work incredibly hungover, but in my defense nobody had any idea! It happens, it is how well you are able to cover it up that matters. Also, we all brought in a $10 gift for the gift exchange. I came home with a nice variety of candles and the other intern, who is headed back to Florida, got hand warmers! He probably will not be needing those! Me on the other hand, I am just trying to mentally prepare myself for how cold it is going to be at home! Yikes! It was really sweet DMG gave us gift cards to Barnes & Noble. I am a big reader, so I will have no problem using it! I am also graduating, so I am going to need something to do! Clearly I am not ready for a full-time job without getting time off for spring break and summer vacations!

I also had the opportunity to go to a Georgetown vs Savannah State basketball game. It was one of my goals at the beginning of the semester because I am a huge sports fan. I got free tickets from the person I went to campaign with in Ohio who has season tickets and then went to the game after work! I wish I was able to stay longer to watch them play a good team. It was a complete blow out like 100-38. The sweet part of the game was when they put their senior walk on into the game and he scored the last two points to make the score break 100. The crowd went wild, other than that it was not much of a game at all. My team is Marquette so I will be home soon enough to watch them play!

Georgetown Basketball

It has been a great 15 weeks and I only hope that my experience will help you to decide to come to Washington DC. If your experience is half as good as mine, I can assure you it is worth it. If you have any questions at all you can find me on Facebook: Krysta Carlson, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee.

No comments: