Thursday, November 6, 2008

I shook hands with Dana Perino

TWC sent us an e-mail saying our speaker had changed. The last time this happened, it changed from a Congressman to the motivational speaker, so I groaned before I read on. BUT then it said we would be going to the Eisenhower building to hear White House Press Secretary Dana Perino speak to us! So then a lot of other people groaned, but Democrat or Republican, it was truly an honor! She spoke for several minutes and took the rest of the time for questions. I was able to ask her what advice she’d offer to the next President of the United States in regards to the first steps they need to take in the War on Terror. She had just finished talking about Bi-lateral FTA’s, so I was able to squeeze in a work related question about whether she thought the USTR would advance trade negotiations with the UAE and Oman. One of the students tried to sarcastically comment on the low approval ratings of President Bush. She shut him down and said President Bush does not wake up in the morning and ask himself what his approval ratings are; his job is to make sure Americans are safe. Since September 11, 2001 there has not been a terrorist attack. What was even better, at the end of the hour of questions she said she would take pictures with us individually. Considering she is such a busy woman, that was an amazing gesture.

Eisenhower Building
A few feet away from Secretary Perino speaking!

Dana Perino and me

People in DC celebrate Halloween early. We started seeing costumes out several weeks before the actual weekend of Halloween!? Don’t get me wrong I think Halloween is fun, but a few weeks before is a bit ridiculous. The Senior Vice President at my internship told me about an annual Drag Queen Race they have the week of Halloween every year in DuPont. My roommate and I decided to go check it out. I don’t know what was worse, the fact that men were dressed up in heels and costumes to race or how many people turned out to watch them?! It was packed! I saw several “Sarah Palins,” one had labels all over the coat and the other was with her husband and her infant son. A group of men did the Victoria Secret fashion show, you know the one with the big wings?! Hilarious. My other favorite was Princess Diana and her bodyguards. It got really cold, so I only made it through the parade and I missed the high heel race! Nuts?! I don’t think I’ll ever need to go again, but it was definitely worth seeing once.

Drag Queen Race

No comments: