Sunday, October 12, 2008

One of the best weeks of my life

How many times can you say you’ve had the best day of your life in one week? I’ve had several this week and every day I think that it can’t get any better another amazing event happens.
One of my main political issues is reducing the United States dependency on foreign oil. I had the opportunity to attend a seminar at the Newseum with several high ranking officials that discussed what needed to happen in order for this to be practical. They discussed the need for funding advanced battery technologies, among wind, solar, and other alternative forms of energy. As much as I love reading, it’s much more entertaining and informative to hear it directly from the experts!

Securing America's Future Energy Seminar

We had the Presidential lecture series on Monday and Majority Whip Congressman Clybourn came to speak with us. This isn’t included in the best days of my life, but he was very funny and informative. He started out the lecture with “when I was in jail” which normally captures college student’s attention very quickly. His advice, stay in contact with every person you meet, be humble, and don’t try to work hard only to get credit for everything that you do.


Presidential Lecture Series: Majority Whip Congressman Clybourn


Another amazing day was when my boss took the other intern and I out to dinner at the Capitol Hill Club. My boss is the President of the Capitol Hill Club, which is a Republican bar and restaurant near the Capitol. He was concerned that nobody would be there because it was the night before the bail-out, but he wanted us to have the chance to go there before Congress went out of session. He was mistaken. We were among Minority Leader John Boehner and several other Congressman who I had the pleasure of meeting. Watching the Congressman and staffers interact with each other in the restaurant was like nothing I’ve ever seen before. They greeted us with the utmost respect and were very interested with what we were doing with our lives.

New fan of Senator Lieberman

How do you top a room full of Republicans? An even larger room full of Republicans to watch the VP debate on big screens at ESPN zone. The Republican National Committee threw the event and we were able to watch Sarah Palin get “all mavericky” on Joe Biden. We were invited through our internship to go and it was amazing to be surrounded by a room of people cheering. Which lets be honest, lately it hasn’t really been the case for the GOP ticket. Its like watching my Green Bay Packers at a Maryland bar, if its even playing on a T.V! There were several high level people in attendance, but among my favorites was John McCain’s mother, Roberta! I also met George Bush’s Chief speech writer John McConnell! When I thought the night couldn’t get any better, I was recruited by the RNC for a victory deployment to campaign in the final days of the election in Ohio! So I am definitely looking forward to spending my Halloween through the election in Columbus. More word on that at the end of the month!

No comments: