Monday, September 1, 2008

Blog Entry 1

Today is Labor Day and it is a day of reflection to remember the social and economic achievements of Americans throughout history. Since it has been one week since I arrived, it is a day to think about my own plans during the next fifteen weeks and to reflect on my personal anxieties during the process of applying to The Washington Center.

As Fall semester 2007 came to an end, it concerned me that I had not had any hands on experience in my fields of study. As a senior in Political Science and History, it is important to apply what I have learned in the classroom to real-world experiences. I was intrigued by the information a representative from the Washington Center presented during a Political Science course and I knew that an opportunity to intern in Washington D.C. would be unmatched to any other experience during my undergraduate education.

It is amazing to think that it has already been six months since I filled out my application to the Washington Center and now I am here! I was incredibly nervous during the application and interview process. Many questions came to mind. When would future employers call me? What were they going to ask me? What if nobody calls me? Are they going to discuss my political ideologies? Are they not going to like me because of my partisan affiliation? And most importantly how do I know which internship would be best for me? After employers began to call, I was amazed by the diversity in my choices. After discussing the internship duties and comparing them to my goals for the semester, I chose Downey McGrath Group, a bi-partisan lobbying firm.

In addition, I was apprehensive about the living situation in Washington D.C. Many friends told me that D.C was very dangerous outside of Capitol Hill and I was concerned for my safety. After the housing assignments were posted, I was able to check out the location and the building online. I also learned that I would be sharing a room with a fellow Washington Center student. I have lived on my own since I moved out of my parents house, so I was worried that my roommates and I would have conflicting personalities or habits. My nerves were subsided when I met my roommates. It has only been a week; however, they are from all over the world and I am confident we will be able to learn a lot from each other. They are even trying to teach me Spanish! My apartment building (Fenestra, located in Maryland) is also great, and it's near a town square with lots of shops and restaurants.

The first day of the program kicked off with a competitive scavenger hunt beginning at the Lincoln Memorial and directed us with a series of questions around the Capitol Hill area. Unfortunately, it was raining but that did not stop us from taking as many pictures as possible at the historical sites on the list! Some were wise and had rain coats, others like me just toughed it out. I had not checked the forecast so I was completely unprepared for the weather conditions! I could have bought an umbrella, but lets face it from the train stop to the Lincoln Memorial the damage had been done; I was destined to be drenched all day! Rain or shine it was a great ice breaker and an exciting opportunity to check out the main historical attractions in the Greater DC area! I am looking forward to starting my class and my internship next week! Until then I am going to be a tourist; floral shirt and camera around my neck!


No comments: